- Walking bass / chord tones
- Major ii — V7 — I in all keys with 5-1-3-7 permutation
- The Beatles — All My Loving, Got To Get You Into My Life, I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Next time: seems like I’m a little bit stuck with my bass routine (while piano is thriving) — think about adding some new topics!
Didn’t do too much consistent practice (only quick improv and mode runs sessions) during the last couple of days, as I was busy doing some production and other work. But I did play piano a lot while recording so it definitely counts! 😆
- Chord tones
- Harmonising F Lydian scale with 7th chords in all 24 permutations (root inversion). Yeah, and it was just one key, one mode, and only root inversion… “What can you practice for 8 hours straight?!” is not a question anymore, lol!
Mostly left hand practice, as I — as stupid as I am — injured my right while skateboarding 😕 Nothing serious, but just need to give it some rest for a week or so.
- Comping practice (“A Night in Tunisia” by Dizzy Gillespie (slowed down significantly)
- Playing with shell voicings in LH
- Trying to follow the “minimum movement” principle and choose the voicings with that in mind
- Cycle progressions
- Cycling dominant 7th chords in 7-3-6 — 3-7-9
- Cycling minor to dominant progression in 3-7-9 — 7-3-6
The last two were pretty boring practice sessions, but it will get better. I’ve also got in a habit of doing a track analysis and writing a couple of bars of bass solo, so that compensates for the temporary lack of fun in the actual routine 😃